Shih Tzus are known for their luxurious, flowing coats, but as temperatures rise, some owners may consider shaving their furry friends. While there are pros and cons to shaving a Shih Tzu, it’s important to understand the potential risks and benefits before making a decision. In this article, we’ll explore the pros and cons of shaving your Shih Tzu and provide tips for a successful shave.
Pros of Shaving Your Shih Tzu
- Comfort: Shih Tzus have a thick double coat that can be uncomfortable in hot weather. Shaving your Shih Tzu can help keep them cool and comfortable during the summer months.
- Reduced Grooming: Shih Tzus require a lot of grooming to keep their coats in good condition. Shaving your Shih Tzu can reduce the amount of time and money you spend on grooming.
Cons of Shaving Your Shih Tzu
- Sunburn: Shih Tzus have sensitive skin that can easily become sunburned. Shaving your Shih Tzu can increase their risk of sunburn and skin damage.
- Coat Damage: Shih Tzus have a delicate coat that can be easily damaged by clippers or improper grooming techniques. Shaving your Shih Tzu can increase their risk of coat damage and skin irritation.
Tips for a Successful Shih Tzu Shave
If you decide to shave your Shih Tzu, there are some things you can do to ensure a successful shave:
- Start Slow: If your Shih Tzu has never been shaved before, start with a small area and gradually work your way up to a full shave.
- Use Proper Equipment: Use clippers that are designed for dogs and make sure the blades are sharp and well-maintained.
- Seek Professional Help: If you’re not comfortable shaving your Shih Tzu yourself, consider taking them to a professional groomer.
- Protect Your Shih Tzu’s Skin: Use a dog-specific sunscreen to protect your Shih Tzu’s skin from sunburn, and avoid shaving too close to the skin to prevent skin irritation.
Shaving a Shih Tzu can be a controversial topic, but with the right knowledge and preparation, it can be a safe and effective way to keep your furry friend cool and comfortable during hot weather. Consider the pros and cons of shaving your Shih Tzu carefully, and follow the tips above for a successful shave that will keep your furry friend looking and feeling their best.
SOME REQUIRED TOOLS WHILE GROOMING A DOG: 1) Soft Fabric Dog Muzzle 2) Bunfly Pet Clipper Grooming Kit & Vacuum 3) USB Rechargeable Pet Grooming Shaver